Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Guantanamera (formerly Azucar)

It's been awhile since my last post so please bear with me as I try to recall the many meals I've had in the last month. My trouble, as with probably many others, is keeping up with my blog. It's hard enough getting my thoughts in order, let alone put it down in a semi-readable form.

Since I've no doubt forgotten most of the last month, I'll try to at least recall last Friday's meal at Guantanamera on Eighth Avenue between 55th and 56th Streets. It's not quite the hole-in-the wall you might be looking for but the atmosphere and crowd are definitely authentically Cuban. As you walk in, there's someone rolling cigars and, supposedly, offering them free to customers. Most evenings, the restaurant does a brisk business. Friday night was no exception. We ended up waiting 45 minutes for a table for five.

Since Guantanamera is only a couple of blocks from me, we do go there regularly. For cheap hole-in-the-wall Puerto Rican food, we head downtown to La Taza del Oro. For more upscale Latino fusion, we head up to Calle Ocho. Guantanamera is a good happy medium. The vibe in the restaurant is undoubtably Cuban. Much of the conversation heard around the restaurant was Spanish and we were truly transported when the live band began hitting the Latin notes.

Normally, we go straight for the mains but we started this night with camarones al ajillo (shrimps with garlic). These generously sized shrimp were sauteed in garlic and were very good. We just wished there were more to go around.

My regular favorite entree is the rabo encedido (oxtail in red wine sauce and mashed plantains). This is not for you if you have problems with the gelatinous texture of the oxtail but it is one of the most tender meats you'll ever have. This night, I went with the lechon asado (suckling pig in garlic sauce). While fat doesn't normally bother me, there was just way too much of it in this dish. With some pieces that were predominantly fat and other pieces a bit dry, methinks I won't be having this dish again.

One of my fellow diners ordered the ropa vieja (shredded skirt steak with tomatoes, onions and peppers in a plaintain basket). Wow! This dish was really good. Powerful flavors in a small package. I think I've found a new favorite dish at Guantanamera. With sides of tostones (fried green plantains) and maduros (fried sweet plantains), we were happy campers. I finished off my meal with an espresso and flan. The flan was a bit thicker than I normally like but still acceptable.

We will continue to be regulars at Guantanamera with its solid Cuban fare and the happening vibe. You can't beat it for a neighborhood restaurant.

No comments: